The ancient history of the village.
The name Panchokhando is about 1400 years old. The name Panchokhando originated in Sanskrit. It is one word in Sanskrit, not two words. The literal meaning of the word is five parts.
From around 350 AD, most of the greater Sylhet used to be ruled by Tripura’s Kamarupa rulers. Kamarupa kingdom’s capital was in modern-day Tejpur of the state of Asham in India. The name of the family at the Kamarupa kingdom’s helm was the Varman dynasty. Bhaskaravarman was the king of the Varman dynasty between the year 600 to 650 AD.
Inhabitants of greater Beanibazar at that time were primarily Bhrammans and Buddhists.
However, king Bhaskaravarman decided to award five prominent Bhrammans with five parcels of land (PanchaKhando). Historians claim it was the year 623 AD. These five parcels are from modern-day Borlekha to Charkhai. Therefore, the name of this area became as PanchoKhando.
The names of those five individuals who were awarded the 5 parcels as a grant were: Sreenando, Anando, Govindo, Purusatta, and Sreepoti.
On September 29th, 1912, a farmer in the village of modern-day Nidonpur unearthed 7 copper plates containing the granting decree from the king Bhaskaravarman while excavating to build a cowshed. These 7 copper plates were written in Sanskrit. They are kept in Bangladesh National Museum in Dhaka.
Today, only two entities, Pancho khanda Hargovindo HighSchool, and Pancho Khando Angura (our village) have kept the name “Panchakhando”,
By: Joynal Uddin